Thursday, February 18, 2010

Rediscovering Games -or- The Surprising Joys of Unemployment

As some of you may know, I was until recently part of the mass of people that found themselves unemployed, and then damn well near unemployable, as a result of 2008's little financial fiasco. I didn't really like my old job, but I sure loved the steady income it provided me. I was laid off in summer of 2008 for what I thought would only be a very brief period--no more than 3 months or so. How wrong I was. Unfortunately, it seemed everyone was laid off at the same time I was. Result? Whereas before you had, say, 10 or 20 people applying for a low level position, now you had literally hundreds of applicants fighting tooth and nail for the honor and prestige of being shift leader at the local Church's Chicken. Living in a state with one of the highest unemployment rates in America and plagued with an ineffectual and incompetent EDD didn't help either.

Fortunately, I was eventually able to find a job that, mirabile dictu, was far better than my old one. Offering me not only a fancy title, but a very healthy salary and far more reasonable hours to boot, I had actually been able to find something better than what I had previously. Not all of us are so fortunate.

Still, every cloud has its silver lining. The silver lining here was that I now had a lot more free time to catch up on the vidya. EDD checks may not have come in on time and I wasn't sure how I'd make the rent. But at least I could play the shit out of Kid Dracula. It's no exaggeration to say that I beat more games the past year and a half than I had in the entire preceding decade. Below, in no particular order, are all the games I beat between July 2008 and January 2010--the fruits of my jobless despair [insert laugh track here]. I had never beaten any of the games below until the past 1 1/2 year.

  1. Bio Miracle Bokkute Upa (Famicom)
  2. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
  3. Kid Dracula (Game Boy)
  4. Metroid II: The Return of Samus (Game Boy)
  5. Gargoyle's Quest II (NES)
  6. Destiny of an Emperor (NES)
  7. Dragon Quest V (Super Famicom)
  8. Paladin's Quest (SNES)
  9. Lufia II: The Rise of the Sinistrals (SNES)
  10. Lagoon (SNES)
  11. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
  12. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Game Boy Advance)
  13. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (DS)
  14. Mega Man (NES)
  15. Castlevania (NES)
  16. Castlevania III (NES)
  17. Parodius (Super Famicom)
  18. Neutopia (TG-16)
  19. Ganbare Goemon (Famicom)
  20. Earthbound Zero (NES)
  21. Earthbound (SNES)
  22. Mother 3 (Game Boy Advance)
  23. Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (NES)
  24. Kirby: Squeak Squad (DS)
  25. Rocket Knight Adventures (Genesis)
  26. Sword of Hope (Game Boy)
  27. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
  28. 7th Saga (SNES)
  29. Super Mario Bros.2 (Famicom Disc [I had beaten the SMB All-Stars version years ago though.])
  30. Earthworm Jim (Genesis)
  31. The Legend of Zelda: Satellavision (Super Famicom)
  32. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Game Boy Advance)
  33. Wario World (Game Cube)
  34. Wario Land (Game Boy)
  35. Wario Land II (Game Boy Color)
  36. Wario Land III (Game Boy Color)
  37. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
  38. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
  39. Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System)
  40. Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Master System)
  41. Widget (NES)
  42. Adventure Island III (NES)
  43. Valkyrie no Densetsu (PC Engine)
  44. Ghosts n' Goblins (NES)
  45. Bubble Bobble 2 (NES)
  46. Ai Senshi Nicol (Famicom)
  47. The Lone Ranger (NES)
  48. Radical Dreamers (Super Famicom)
  49. Seiken Densetsu 3 (Super Famicom)
  50. Secret of Evermore (SNES)
  51. Yume Penguin Monogatari (Famicom)

Some of these games are better than others. Ghosts n' Goblins and the Castlevanias were the result of the last three days before I got final word that I was hired. A nervous trainwreck over an unexpected bump on the road to employment, I sublimated my anxiety by beating these games. Well, now I'm employed and I can tell people I beat these sadistically difficult games. Not too shabby.

1 comment:

  1. thats ONE hell of a list lol, much props, much props... sorry to hear about the unemployment, being an artist I find myself in that situation lots. Saw yoru posts about Gamefan on HardcoreGamer thought you were pretty much on the level, I'll do mah best to bring back some of that old GF fun. Hope yur doin well, and DAMN thats a list lol - Rob D.

    ReplyDelete